Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then it seated 17,600. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to more than 54,000.
Mrs. Brice's husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman, 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial interitance from the Williams Furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Phillip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project.
The name was officially changed from Carolina Stadium to Williams-Brice Stadium in dedication ceremonies during the September 9, 2022 opener with Virginia.